Monday, December 5, 2011

"Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?" Corrie Ten Boom


Last July, our church produced a special event celebrating America’s freedom. The musical performance and the theatrical presentation were beyond words. I was overjoyed to see the church completely full, with over 700 members and visitors in attendance at each performance.

Fifteen minutes before the service, six or seven of us gathered in the corridor to pray. We asked God to be the director of the program and invited His presence to take control of the sanctuary, believing for His will to be done during the service.  But on that day, half dozen of us came together, committed and believing that prayer changes situations.  Prayer is a wonderful opportunity to talk with God, and most importantly, we have the assurance that it works.  Prayer is the key that unlocks God’s favor.
As we were praying, I couldn’t help but ask myself, “Where is everyone?  Why is it that people eagerly attend regular services and special events, but they don’t show up for prayer meetings?”


“Maybe they do not know how to pray,” I reasoned, “or maybe they have never prayed before.  Or even worse, maybe they have had a bad experience with prayer and are avoiding the topic altogether.”

I know the pain and rejection of unanswered prayer. It can be distressing, demoralizing and easily to make you to give up. My oldest daughter passed away from cancer at the age of fourteen, even after we been fasting and praying for her during the whole sickness. My successful husband lost his business when the lending market broke down and we lost our home. I cried for that dream house, the same house that The Lord gave to me.
I had prayed for my little daughter’s healing for more than eight years; she has Down syndrome and was born with a hearing impediment. Day and night I went to His throne in prayer, and many times I left with a bitter taste in my heart.
What was I doing wrong? Why? He doesn’t love me? Doesn’t He love her? Why did He abandon me? Was it because of my faith? Was it because I was not worthy? Maybe I was not spiritual enough. Maybe what He said in his Word was for the New Testament’s time and not for the twenty-first century. Maybe His angel fell to sleep after all.
As a result of unanswered prayer you begin questioning God’s honesty, sincerity and truth.  Or worse, his integrity, his honor, at the same time His Word till finally you question His existence.
One thing I knew about my unanswered prayer was that is was a measurement and indicator that something was wrong.
 “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result”– Albert Einstein
In any area of life, if we wanted different results we need to change the old ways and try a new.
I begin to look for the three components in prayer: God, the prayer and myself. If God wasn’t wrong then it was me or my prayer what was wrong. Maybe it was both.  I decided to change it and so I did.
I was necessary to value the principles and the nature of pray and began to experience positives result in my own prayer life
I have developed a new relationship with God; I learned what the purpose of prayer is; the important role that we play and as a result I changed my prayer itself.
I am convinced that my fights with the prayer subject are not exclusive mine. Several person who came to me and ask for prayer, confess to have the same problem.
If your prayer is not answered, now it is your time to do something different.
This is my daily challenge my prayer need to be my steering wheel not my spear tire. Is it yours?



If you need prayer today we will fast and pray for you 365 non stop.

365prayingforyou@gmail.com  or to 365 prayer@famemephis.net

No comments:

Post a Comment